WIC is a supplemental nutrition program that serves pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children up to age five. WIC helps moms have healthier babies and helps babies and children to grow and develop. WIC provides foods high in iron, protein, vitamin C, and other nutrients. These foods help children develop strong, healthy minds and bodies.
- Services and benefits
- Applying for WIC benefits
- WIC Vendors List
You are eligible for WIC services free of charge if you meet all of the following:
- Live in Maryland.
- Are pregnant, a new mother, an infant or child under 5 years of age.
- Have a nutritional need.
- Have a household gross (before taxes and deductions) income that is less than or equal to the income guidelines below, or you receive Food Stamps, Medical Assistance, TCA (Temporary Cash Assistance) or participate in MCHP (Maryland Children’s Health Program).
- For the most up-to-date information on income eligibility, visit the DHMH’s WIC Webpage.
WIC participants receive benefits such as:
- Vouchers to purchase healthy foods at no cost to participant
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Health Screenings- growth and weight assessments for pregnant women, infants and children
- Breastfeeding assistance provided by lactation specialists
- Referrals to other health and social agencies
Checks to purchase fresh produce through the annual WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition ProgramWIC has improved the food packages to include:
- Whole and low fat milk
- fresh, canned or frozen fruits and vegetables
- whole grain items such as cereals, breads, rice, and tortillas
- infant formula
- infant jar foods
- 100% fruit and/or vegetable juices
- peanut butter
- beans and peas
- soy and tofu items
To set up an appointment to apply for WIC, call the Baltimore City WIC Appointment line at 410-396-9427. Prepare for your appointment and bring the following items (note: when you make your appointment, you may be asked to bring additional items not listed below):
- Proof of income
- Proof of address
- Proof of pregnancy (if pregnant)
- Person(s) being certified